Wii System Update
A Wii System Update will add new features to upgrade your Wii console. To update your Wii console to the latest version, simply connect your console to the Internet and manually select "Wii System Update" from the Wii System Settings page.
You can check the version of your Wii console by looking at the numbers on the top right corner on page 1 of the Wii System Settings page.
Wii System Update 4.0
Feature additions on your Wii console when it is updated to version 4.0:
SD Memory Card Functionality
The SD Memory Card functionality of the Wii console has been enhanced to support the following features:
- An SD Card Menu has been added to the Wii Menu. This allows you to launch a Virtual Console game, WiiWare title or Wii Channel from an SD Memory Card (SD Card or SDHC Card).
- It is now possible to download games, titles and Channels directly to an SD Memory Card (SD Card or SDHC Card) from the Wii Shop Channel.
- The Wii Shop Channel and Photo Channel 1.1 now support the use of the high-capacity SDHC Memory Card format.
Please note that an updated version of the Wii Speak Channel that supports the SDHC Memory Card format can be downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel. The current version of the Wii Speak Channel will not be able to communicate with the updated version, so all parties using the Wii Speak Channel will need to perform this update for continued operation.
Wii Shop Channel
- The Wii Shop Channel now includes Virtual Console Arcade.
Important: Save files created by unauthorised modifications may cause damage to your Wii console. This Wii Menu update will detect and automatically delete such files. Please note that these deletion measures will not affect Wii consoles that contain only normal save files.
Wii System Update 3.1
Feature additions on your Wii console when it is updated to version 3.1:
You can now use a USB keyboard with your Wii. Please note that some USB keyboards may not function correctly. Nintendo recommends the Classic Keyboard 200 from Logitech.
Please note that the USB keyboard is compatible with the Wii Menu, but is not supported by the Everybody Votes Channel or the Mii Channel.
Wii System Update 3
Feature additions on your Wii console when it is updated to version 3 from version 2:
- The weather forecast will now be displayed on the Forecast Channel icon in the Wii Menu.
- Headline news will now be displayed on the News Channel icon in the Wii Menu.
- The current time will now be displayed in the Wii Menu.
- The area around the Wii Message Board button will now flash when a message arrives.
Wii Message Board
- You're now able to rearrange the order of your Wii Friends in the address book.
- You're now able to go into the Wii Friends registration screen by pressing the A Button on a blank spot in the address book.
- Envelope message icons will now appear on the calendar only on the dates when a message is received.
- Your message sending history will now be displayed in Today's Accomplishments.
- You can now scroll through the message text by pressing the B Button on the message screen.
Wii Shop Channel
- The search function on Virtual Console has been enhanced.